Deputy Project Director, Healthcare Electrification & Telecommunications Alliance (HETA)
Job Identification 102599
Job Category Project and Program Management
- Abt Associates, Nairobi, KE
- Abt Associates, Accra, GH
- Abt Associates, Kigali, RW
- Abt Associates, Dar es Salaam, TZ
- Abt Associates, Pretoria, ZA
Job Schedule Full time
Abt Associates seeks a Deputy Project Director for the Healthcare Electrification and Telecommunications Alliance (HETA). The activity will advance Africa’s goals to improve health and well-being of communities in sub-Saharan Africa by drawing on private sector capacity and resources to provide rural and semi-rural health facilities with clean, reliable electricity generation and internet connectivity. The activity will address the above challenges in health electrification through a market-based approach, leveraging technical and financial resources. These efforts will complement USAID’s Global Health Strategy and the forthcoming USAID Climate Strategy through the promotion and uptake of cleaner, renewable energy solutions that power health facilities and, in turn, mitigate air pollution and carbon emissions from this growing sector while improving progress toward health goals.
The Deputy Project Director will be a senior member of the HETA management team and will be responsible for overseeing the design, implementation, and performance of renewable energy installations, including quality assurance and ongoing operation and maintenance (O&M). They will provide oversight of country programs and partnerships with private sector firms to ensure financially sustainable systems are implemented. The Deputy Director will also oversee the Quality Assurance and Standards Development Director and the Systems and O&M Lead.
The position will be based in sub-Saharan Africa, with travel as needed to individual countries where project activities are implemented. The successful applicant may be expected to travel internationally up to 25% of the year.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide general oversight and guidance to country programs, with a focus on implementation and performance of installations and increasing buy-ins from private sector and other institutions
- Oversee quality assurance & standards development, systems, and O&M
- Oversee environmental mitigation and monitoring planning and reporting
- Support the planning of project milestones and high-level goals in coordination with clients and partners, assist in the development of annual planning and timely, high-quality implementation of activities and deliverables
- Represent HFE Activity to promote HFE initiatives in Africa; present on potential facilities that could be candidates for HFE and identify private sector partners with interest in contributing to HFE in support of health and resilience outcomes
- Develop and manage relationships with key project stakeholders including private sector firms and institutions, NGOs, international donor organizations, and other institutional and research partners under the project
- Oversee country program administrative and operations management systems and processes required to support activity implementation, ensuring compliance with client, partner, and Abt policies and regulations
- With support from the Finance and Contracts Director, oversee country financial, administrative, contractual, and HR processes and procedures that meet activity needs and corporate and client requirements.
- Manage collaborative activities with partners across the sub-Saharan African region
- MBA or a master’s degree in international business, economics, management, or related field
- Significant experience in project development, financing, and operation and maintenance of distributed solar energy systems in a developing country context, preferably Africa
- Minimum of twelve years of progressively responsible experience in one or several of the following technical sectors: renewable energy development; global health; international value chain strengthening, small and medium enterprise development growth; and business development
- Demonstrated experience leveraging private sector funding and/or engaging with private sector stakeholders
- At least five years of experience in a managerial or leadership role is required
- Experience with US Government rules and regulations is preferred
- French language skills preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree + Fifteen years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or PhD + Ten years of relevant experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
Posting Date 10/14/2022, 09:55 PM
Apply Before 11/25/2022, 09:55 PM