EHS Coordinator at Sandvik
We are a global leading supplier in equipment and tools, parts, service and technical solutions for the mining and construction industries. Applications include rock drilling, rock cutting, loading and hauling, tunnelling and quarrying.
It’s an exciting time to join Sandvik Mining and Rock Technology. The industry is being revolutionized through digitalization, electrification, and material development – and we’re driving significant shifts, advancing the world through our engineering. We also have our eyes set on sustainability and have ambitious goals in the areas of climate, circularity, people, and Fair Play – this helps us to keep focus on building even more sustainable business.
We currently have opportunities for qualified Tanzanian EHS Coordinator to join our team to promotes continuous improvement in an area of Environment, Health and Safety to improve performance and/or develop EHS as a business advantage. The position will be based on site (at one of our customer’s mine site) – Located in Tanzania.
The opportunity is well suited for those with strong commitment toward Environmental, Health & Safety performance culture that drives the zero-harm philosophy for Sandvik Operations.
You will be a key member of an established team and drive the reliability and availability of safe work place while supporting a zero-harm safety culture.
The opportunity will see you:
- Conduct environmental, health and safety inspections and inform site management of non compliance.
- On an ongoing basis, identify potential risks and hazards and initiate appropriate corrective measures that will eliminate or mitigate such risk and hazard.
- Collaborate with site personnel and if appropriate other external stakeholders to examine the causes of incidents at the work place.
- Investigate complaints and or reported incidents relating to Occupational Health and Safety of site personnel.
- Provide ongoing Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety training to the Health and Safety Representatives as well as site personnel, ensuring a comprehensive understanding of the site’s Occupational Health and Safety requirements.
- Conduct incident investigations as per the Standard Operating Procedure.
- Conducting Drug and Alcohol testing programs as per the company standard.
- Responsible for drafting the site’s weekly and monthly Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety Report.
- Accompany an inspector on any inspections relating to Environmental, Occupational Health, Safety & Quality Management programs.
- Participate in any internal Health and Safety audits.
- Maintain all equipment required in the first aid area, ensuring 100% availability of the required resources.
- Committing your best endeavours and full capability to the work assigned to you by your manager (Doing your best).
- Advising your manager if you do not understand the work that he/she has assigned to you, or if the assignment does not fit with your knowledge of the circumstances, current skills or available time and resources.
- Advising your manager of any situations or conditions that could create obstacles to, or opportunities for, the work within the team or company.
- Demonstrating work behaviours consistent with the company Values and work within prescribed boundaries, including professional standards, protocols and legislation requirements.
- Disclosing timely information to manager when accountability cannot be met within limits or can be met with less time or resources than planned.
- Perform any other duty in relation to your profession and level of competence.
- On an ongoing basis, seek out and implement opportunities for continuous improvement within the Finance Department.
- Perform other duties in relation to your profession and level of competence
To be successful in this position you must be tertiary qualified in either bachelor’s degree preferably health, safety, or environmental field of study and equivalent. Certificate of National Occupational Safety and Health Course (NOSHC 1 &2). Possess skills on Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality Management systems. You should have extensive experience in a similar role in the construction or underground mining industry with a minimum of three years’ experience implementing Environmental, Health and Safety practices. Importantly, you will have a strong understanding of mining safety operations and ISO (ISO 14001:2015, ISO 45001:2018, ISO 9001:2015) certification processes, principles and practices combined with deep working knowledge of the OSHA & NEMA Act in Tanzania.
In addition to your technical knowledge, you will have good communication and incident investigation skills with the ability to coach and build relationships. Training experience or qualifications will be looked upon favourably. Our vision of zero-harm for our people, the environment we work in, our customers and our suppliers, is shared by you.
What is in it for you?
- A globally competitive salary with benefits including site and travel allowances.
- All required work permits and visas
- Options for roster including 14:7
- Versatile and interesting tasks in international business environment, as well as the opportunity to develop your own professional skills and career.
- Be part of a safety leader that is shaping the future of the Mining Industry in sustainable ways.
How to apply
Please apply online through Workday (ESS) or access the Sandvik website www.home.sandvik/en/careers .
Applications close: 06 December 2023
Please note that, should you not receive any response from us within 14 days, consider your application has been unsuccessful; we however thank you for your interest in our company.
Short listed candidates may be subjected to any of the following: a security clearance; a competency assessment; physical capability assessment and reference checking.
Sandvik is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is very committed to environmental, health and safety Management.
Sandvik is a global, high-tech engineering group with approximately 44,000 employees and sales in about 150 countries. We have a strong focus on enhancing customer productivity, profitability and sustainability through our unique expertise and solutions for the manufacturing, mining, and infrastructure industries. Our offering covers their value chains and is based on extensive investments in research and development, customer insights and a deep knowledge of industrial processes and digital solutions.
We have a long history of ethical and responsible business conduct, which has played a significant role in the global success of our company for 160 years. We conduct business in a sustainable and responsible manner, are committed to creating safe and healthy workplaces and delivering the industry’s safest products and services.
We are proud to shape the future of our industry in close collaboration with our customers and partners. We believe in an inclusive, equal, and open-minded culture, and we nurture our diversities to form a solid foundation for achieving great results.