Migration Program Officer at High Commission of Canada, Migration Section January, 2024
Selection Process Nº: 160674-6
Salary: LE-O2: 50,882,255 during pre-designation period; 85,970,750 for fully designated LE-O2; Temporary Residents (LE-O1): 37,977,777 during pre-designation period; 50,882,255 or fully designated LE-O1
Contract Type: Term / Indeterminate (full time)
Term Details: This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Tanzania.
Job Function: Officer
Classification: LE-O1 in development to LE-O2 & LE-A3 in development to LE-O1 See “Conditions of Appointment” for more information
Location: the High Commission of Canada to Tanzania
Number of Vacancies: Designated Migration Officer/ Agent.e de migration désigné: 2 – Designated Migration Officer – Temporary Residents: Anticipatory/ Agent.e de migration désigné – Résidents temporaires: anticipatoire: 1
Closing date for application: 6 February, 2024 at 23:59 UTC/GMT +3:00
Designated Migration Officers complete application assessment and make final decisions on applications for permanent and temporary residency to Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). This role requires strong analytical skills to understand and interpret complex legislation, and ability to apply that knowledge in decision-making. Other key activities may include: composing reports, briefings and presentations; research and analysis of application trends or other topics that may have an impact on IRCC program delivery; gathering and preparing statistics; explaining decisions, policies and procedures to clients, their representatives, partners and other stakeholders; or participation in promotion and recruitment activities for permanent or temporary residence to Canada.
IRCC Locally Engaged Migration Officer Development Program (LEMO-DP):
The candidates will acquire skills and expertise through the IRCC Locally Engaged Migration Officer Development Program (LEMO-DP). During the program, candidates must complete all elements required for designation. Upon designation, candidates will be promoted to the LE-O1 level (for DMO-TR) or the LE-O2 level (DMO).
Designation requirements include multiple examinations. Candidates are provided only one opportunity for each examination, and must achieve a passing grade to continue in the developmental program and maintain their employment.
In order to graduate from the development program, candidates must maintain fully satisfactory performance at the ‘succeeded’ level and successfully complete all the LEMO-DP requirements.
Position Details Designated Migration Officer (LE-O2): This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Tanzania. This staffing process will serve to build a pool of qualified candidates to be used for indeterminate appointments within the Locally Engaged Migration Officer Development Program (LEMO-DP). Candidates are initially hired at the LE-O1 level as a Migration Program Officer and participant in the LEMO-DP. This program leads to the position of LE-O2 Designated Migration Officer (DMO) upon successful designation. Please see the Locally Engaged Migration Officer Development Program section below for more information.
Position Details Designated Migration Officer – Temporary Residents (LE-O1): This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Tanzania. This staffing process will serve to build a pool of qualified candidates to be used for indeterminate appointments within the Locally Engaged Migration Officer Development Program (LEMO-DP). Candidates are initially hired at the LE-A3 level as a Temporary Resident Program Analyst and participant in the LEMO-DP. This program leads to the position of LE-O1 Designated Migration Officer – Temporary Residents (DMO – TR) upon successful designation. Please see the Locally Engaged Migration Officer Development Program section below for more information.
Area of Selection:
Open to internal and external candidates who have the right to reside and work in Tanzania, who meet all the essential requirements stated and whose applications are received by the closing date.
Please note that the High Commission of Canada to Tanzania does not sponsor work permits directly or indirectly.
The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered based on merit. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, language* and experience. Candidates must clearly demonstrate when applying to the position how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
*Language will be assessed further during the process.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of the completion of their education.
- Undergraduate university degree
- Advanced level in English, both written and spoken
- Advanced level in French, both written and spoken
- Experience analyzing complex problems or issues and making recommendations or decisions
- Experience composing correspondence, reports, briefing or presentation
The Rated Requirements are part of the essential qualifications and are relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies. Methods of assessment for rated requirements may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview (online pre-recorded / live or in-person), role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
- Ability to use computer applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and internet browsers)
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply complex legislation
- Ability to set priorities, plan, organize work
Certain competencies will be assessed at different levels for different positions
- Strategic Thinking and Decision Making
- Initiative and Action Orientation
- Working with Others and Horizontal Leadership *
- Intercultural Proficiency*
- Judgement and Discretion
- Resilience and Adaptability*
- Values and Ethics
- Effective interactive communication (oral and written) in French and/or English
Preference may be given to candidates who meet Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications.
- Experience in a leadership role in a professional work environment
- Experience using knowledge of regulations, legislation, or other rules or guidelines to analyze files and make recommendations or decisions
- Experience supervising staff, and undertaking performance management and/or recruitment
- Experience in research, communication, data analysis/analytics, migration issues, or law
- Experience in web or software development tools, such as Access, Python, or similar
- Experience working in a diplomatic mission or international organization
- Experience working or studying abroad
- Ability to work in one or more of the local languages of Burundi, Comoros, Rwanda, Seychelles, Tanzania, Uganda or Zambia
- Must be willing to travel within Tanzania and internationally
- Able and willing to work overtime as required on short notice (on weekdays and/or during weekends)
- Able to work in a high-pressure work environment
- Able to sustain prolonged periods of sitting and eye focus
- Working hours are 37.5 hours per week Monday to Thursday 7:30-16:00 and Friday 7:30-13:00
Conditions of Employment:
Conditions of employment must be met or complied with before being appointed to a particular position, and are to be maintained throughout the employment while being the incumbent of this position.
– Valid work authorization: Ability to obtain and hold a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period.
– Security screening: Obtain and maintain a Reliability Status (security level) which includes a criminal and credit background check from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period.
– Other conditions of employment:
- Successful designation and graduation from the LEMO-DP are mandatory for this position. Candidates who do not meet the requirements within the program timeframe will have their employment terminated.
Special Request from Mission / Additional Comments:
Please note that applicants must have a valid work permit for Tanzania. The Canadian High Commission in Tanzania does not directly or indirectly sponsor work permits.
How to Apply:
- You must submit your application using the “Apply online” function. Only applications submitted via VidCruiter will be considered unless a valid reason is presented and accepted prior to the closing date.
- Do not include personal data such as; age, date of birth, gender, marital status, family status, religion or a picture in your application form, CV nor cover letter (as required). Please only include information relevant to the vacancy as requested in the job poster.
- You must clearly demonstrate in answering the screening questions how you meet the education and experience factors listed in the essential and asset qualifications. You must provide specific examples to demonstrate clearly how you meet the qualifications. Global Affairs Canada cannot make any assumptions about your studies nor experience. Simply saying you have the required qualifications or listing your current duties will not be sufficient. Instead, you must provide concrete and detailed examples that clearly explain where, when, and how you gained the experience. No additional information will be sought beyond what you submit in your online application.
- Candidates may be required to upload a CV and/or a cover letter in English or French. These documents may be used as a secondary source to validate the answers to the screening questions.
- Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information and/or which are not received by the closing date will be rejected.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to LES-E-Recruitment-BRLIN@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date. Failure to do so will result in the application being rejected.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French).
- The language requirement for this position is identified under the essential qualifications (language). In consequence, the assessment process for this vacancy will be conducted in English and French.
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates must provide an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks may be sought for candidates who succeeded all of the assessments.
- Please note that the High Commission of Canada to Tanzania does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Before an offer of employment can be made, successful candidates must provide a local residence address as proof of residence in the specified area of selection. This information is necessary to issue a letter of offer.
- We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please contact us at LES-E-Recruitment-BRLIN@international.gc.ca to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
- The results of this selection process may also be used to establish one or more pools of fully or partially qualified candidates for similar term, indeterminate, part-time or full-time openings at the High Commission of Canada to Tanzania which might arise following the completion of this selection process.
- For Canadian citizens/residents and Canadian dual nationals, please note that it is your responsibility to enquire with the Canadian Revenue Agency about any possible taxation implications linked to an employment with the Government of Canada.